Fat Tire Tours Berlin: Open Positions
Our fantastic shop staff is a team of young, energetic and motivated folks. You will be required to work from our location at the TV Tower. What we want:
- FLUENT English and German speakers only (additional languages a bonus)
- Great customer service skills along with the ability to work both individually and in a team environment
- Computer literacy and POS experience
- Persons comfortable on and around bikes
- Flexibility and the willingness to work hard in the busy season including weekends
- A sound knowledge of Berlin and the tourism industry
- Must have valid visa if not an EU citizen.
Guiding tours with us is a highly sought after position demanding lots of previous knowledge, a strong desire to continue learning, very flexible work hours, and a strong sense of team pride.
As the leader of our tours, you’re expected to be a powerful presenter and confident public speaker. You should have no problems building a rapport with people from all walks of life. On any given tour you may have an elderly Dutch couple, a Belgian family, a couple New Yorkers, a few Kiwis, some recent US college graduates, etc - you should be able to relate with all of them individually and make them feel like part of a cohesive group as you lead the tour.
You should also be able to deal with adversity without showing signs of stress. Flat tires and other bike issues are occasionally part of the job, and fixing them quickly on the fly is part of that job. Also, while we love sunny days, you’re bound to do many tours in the howling wind and pouring rain. Regardless, you have to have a game face on at all times.
Qualifications you must have include:
- University graduate with an applicable degree in history (preferably European or German), German language, political science, etc. A bachelor degree is a minimum, with graduate work or degree preferred.
- Very strong knowledge of German and Berlin history. What you do not yet know we can help teach you, but you should be very familiar with 20th Century German history. You should also be able to deliver this history in palatable chunks people can grasp and take with them.
- Previous experience traveling to and living in Berlin. Please note that we do not hire anyone who has not spent considerable time in Berlin!
- Working knowledge of German. We prefer that you’re fluent, but you should at least be able to communicate with locals as you encounter them during the tour. By the way, you MUST be a native English-speaker. No exceptions.
- Flexible work hours. We are primarily looking for people available full-time, and at least from March through the end of October. Please note that we do NOT hire anyone that is only passing through for a few months. You must be completely available throughout the entire summer and exceptionally motivated to work very hard during these months.
- Strong desire to help grow the company. We’re a small team from all walks of life and we spend lots of time together outside of work enjoying all that Berlin has to offer. You should be social, friendly, have a great sense of humor, and possess a vivacious disposition.
- Humor! We want you to explain history in a way that keeps people’s attention and helps them understand what makes Berlin so unique. You should be an entertainer as well as a historian.
- Familiarity with bikes. While you’re not expected to be a complete mechanic, you should have no problems hanging bikes before/after the tour into racks in our shop, flipping them over and getting your hands dirty while on the tour, fixing flat tires, “doubling” a bike back to the shop, etc. Dainty people need not apply.
- Ability take on freelance work in Germany. We can only accept candidates who already possess either an EU passport, or German Work and Residence Permits.
- Training! We conduct training for new staff throughout the year, so we need folks that are able to jump into action whenever the time is right.
So yes, basically we’re looking for a few superstars!
An exciting position is opening for an exceptional candidate as an Office Assistant within our Berlin-based tour company. This position would be well suited to a self-motivated candidate with a can-do attitude. If you are reliable, have great attention to detail, are young (at heart), and desire to be part of a fun, eclectic team, please continue reading.
The role consists mainly of assisting in our office with customer emails, tour enquiries, group bookings, and correspondence with our partners. Both your German and English language skills must be near-native level – written and spoken. Please, do not apply if you are not at least a C2 level, as writing and communicating really is the crux of this position.
Qualifications required for this position include:
- Extensive customer service experience
- Knowledge of Berlin and experience with both German and English speaking cultures
- Experience working in a team in an office environment
- Comfortable using Microsoft Word, Excel, as well as Google Docs, Sheets and Forms
- Experience with customer/partner relationship management, preferably in the tourism or hospitality industry
- Proofreading experience or ability
All candidates should have a flexible schedule and will be required to work on weekends.
Our compensation is competitive. We are looking for someone who is dedicated and serious, and can become a long-term valued member of our close-knit team.