Things to Do for Halloween in Washington DC
October 23, 2012
You know, things are not always so serious and political here in Washington, DC. Halloween is one prime example! Where else can you Trick or Treat at the Embassies? With that in mind, we’ve compiled some of the best events happening in DC this Halloween, sure to expel the pre-election blues!
- Our friends at Living Social know how to do a theme party and there is no shortage of them this year! Check out their events page in Washington, DC for some awesome Halloween inspired events over the next week.
- The Hotel Helix is going to be hosting their 8th Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest. Grab a pumpkin and a knife and get to work on October 25th. They’ll offer prizes to the winners and everyone will get fall inspired Happy Hour specials and cocktails!
- Boo at the Zoo is back! And a lot of fun if you have kids! The National Zoo is decorated to the nines for Halloween, treat stations around the park, and live animal encounters! It doesn’t get much better for a kid (and its a heck of a lot of fun when you’re older too!)
- Maybe you want to stay out of the city? Check out the Udvar Hazy Center (part of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum) out by Dulles Airport! They have their annual Air and Scare indoor trick or treating and Halloween Party. Don’t miss a chance to have a photo with your kids (or your) favorite Star Wars character!
- The American Film Institute’s Silver Theater in Silver Spring finished hosting its Spooky Movie International Horror Film Festival. But, that doesn’t mean the spookiness is over! Their offering a host of scary movies with Halloween on Screen through November 4th.
- Maybe Dinner and a Movie is your way to celebrate Halloween. For that, the Queen Vic on H Street has you covered. With a fixed three course menu, all you can drink Zombie Punch and a Scary Movie… this makes a great date night!
Out on the Town
- The world famous “Nightmare on M Street” returns again for its biggest year yet. Drink specials at 27 bars and costume contests. This rolling bar crawl shuts down M Street and makes for great people watching, even if you’re not going in the bars!
- The dead will be alive at the Halloween Zombie Fest in the Half Street Fairgrounds. Zombie movies, zombie dancing, zombie games, everything zombie is happening by Nat’s Park this Saturday.
- And what could be better than hoping in your Delorean and gunning it to 1988 while overlooking the White House and the rest of Washington, DC? The POV Rooftop at the W Hotel is hosting an 80s Halloween Party that you won’t want to miss.
- Another popular option is to forget about the formal parties or celebrations and just throw on a costume for a night on the town. You won’t be along, we promise!
No matter what you do, we’re sure there is enough happening in DC to make the most out of Halloween 2012. And don’t forget to spook responsibly! Police are out in full force every day, but especially on Halloween. So, easy on the zombie punch and leave the car at home. Because Halloween 2012 is a SoberRide night, meaning free taxi rides up to $30! Click here for more info.
Happy Halloween Friends!